Why You Shouldn't Skip Using Hand Cream
Hands are the most used part of our body and also the most neglected. Many focus more on their face or body and hands rarely get proper treatments, allowing the environment and work to damage the skin.
The skin on top of your hands is the most fragile skin on our body, its thinner and has less sebaceous glands. It’s one of the first places wrinkles appear and this area becomes very dry faster than that on the other parts of the body. In comparison, the skin on your palms is much thicker and offers a bit more protection. Moreover, hands are constantly exposed to water, harsh temperatures, chores, chemicals, etc. Therefore, hands require a different type of care. Here are some tips on how to take care of your hand:
- Keeps your hands clean. At the very least, you should wash your hand before you eat and after you use the bathroom. Germs begin to build up right after drying our soaped hands. Applying hand cream is actually hygienic because it contains antibacterial chemicals that keep airborne germs from invading your skin.
- Wash with a moisturizing hand soap. Using an antibacterial hand soap can dry out your skin. Instead, wash your hands with a moisturizing soap that contains hydrating ingredients to avoid stripping the natural oils from your skin. Wash your hands in lukewarm water, too hot water or too cold water tends to damage the skin.
- Use sunscreen on your hands. Just like the rest of your skin, your hands are vulnerable to sun damage that includes dark spots and wrinkles. Apply a broad-spectrum sunscreen with an SPF of 30 or higher every day to protect your hands.
- Don’t overlook fingernails. There’s no need to be stingy with your hand cream. Show your nails and cuticles some love, too. Whenever you’re using a hand lotion or cream, rubbing it into your fingernails and cuticles to help moisturize and keep nails looking their very best.
- Protect your hands. Plenty of the tasks that you have to do around the house can do damage to your hands, ensure that you are wearing gloves when doing chores. Whether you’re washing dishes, doing yard work, or working with tools, always put on a pair of protective gloves first. That will keep your hands from getting dirty, dry, cracked, and callused.
The benefit of a good hand cream is that it repairs and undoes the damage of neglect on your hands. Using a hand cream consistently will combat the signs of premature aging, as well as boost moisture levels and skin elasticity.
How to use hand cream?
There isn’t a wrong or a right way to apply hand cream. The best way to apply hand lotion is to squeeze it onto the back of your hand and rub the back of your other hand against it. This is because the skin on the top of your hands is much thinner and has less sebaceous glands, meaning it can become dry very quickly and therefore needs the most moisture.
How often should you apply hand cream?
Ideally you should use a hand cream several times a day. But it will also depend on the condition of your hands and how often you wash them. Apply hand cream every time you wash them and reapply whenever they’re feeling dry or dehydrated. Then at night, apply a rich, emollient hand cream just before going to bed.
So you don’t like the feeling of residue on your hands?
If this is the reason you’ve been avoiding using hand cream, look for hand creams that are light and fast-absorbing. So it can be used and reapplied without your hands feeling greasy. You can also use hand cream just to the backs of your hands which are usually the driest leaving your fingertips and palms greaseless. At night, apply hand cream before bed and put gloves on top while you sleep. The gloves will protect against moisture loss and there will be no greasy feeling.
Cocona Care hand creams are formulated using the best quality Virgin Coconut Oil to moisturize your dry hands. VCO is known to have antibacterial, anti-viral properties and antioxidants to protect our hands from germs and also other environmental aggressors. Fast absorbing and light in texture yet effectively hydrates skin, makes this hand cream suitable for everyday use.
Start using hand creams today, daily. One small addition to your beauty routine will bring about a radical change in the condition of your hands.